2022 - Bezels Less Ordinary (Live, Online Workshop) (Nov 11 - 13, 2022)
Bezels Less Ordinary – Live, Online Three Day Workshop
Presented by Rachel Morris, Eclectic Nature Jewelry & Design
Please read all details below before registering!
Dates: Nov. 11 - 13, 2022
Starting at: 9 am Pacific/10 am Mountain/11 am Central/12 pm Eastern
Ending at: 4:30 pm Pacific/5:30 pm Mountain/6:30 pm Central/7 pm Eastern
Stone settings should never be an afterthought in a design, but rather, well thought-out and integral. By expanding your understanding of both the function and the forms these settings take, you open up a world of design possibilities in which your gemstones and other set materials become the star of the show.
In this three day online class, we’ll explore ways to set stones beyond the basic cabochon and walled bezel. We’ll cover challenges in unusual stone shapes, with approaches including adding prongs to traditional step bezels, partial bezels, mixed structure, and tab settings. We will also cover the foundations of faceted setting and variations that can spice up a traditional bezel for both faceted and cabbed stones.
We will discuss additional settings and design considerations when choosing what's right for a specific stone. This is a techniques weekend and students should not expect to go home with finished jewelry, but should complete one or more stone settings for future use in a project. Strong basic soldering experience required.
General rhythm of the class – the 4 T’s: Talk, Teach, Try It, Touch Base
- Talk – Discussion of design and technique
- Teach - Demo (Live) with Q&A time of the next steps
- Try It – Go off to your bench space and work on your project – I’ll be available to answer questions
- Touch Base – Group returns to share what we’ve all worked on and discuss challenges and next steps before moving on to the next talk/teach cycle
We’ll go through several cycles of this per day and will aim to end on a “Try It” block, so you can either keep working or get up and work before class, depending on your schedule, for the next day’s “Touch Base” kickoff.
Intermediate & Advanced (Advanced Beginners can contact Rachel (email@example.com) to discuss suitability before registering)
Students should have a solid foundation of sawing, filing, finishing, and soldering (able to create traditional large cabochon bezels consistently). Projects will be presented with a variety of modifications for easier or more challenging work, so students can level set based on their own skills and interests.
- An optional follow-up Zoom open studio two weeks post-workshop, to catch up, show off, and get any open questions answered
- Access to a private Facebook group with additional resources
- Access to the recordings for 60 days after class concludes
By registering you confirm you have read, understand, and accept the following:
- Registration & Refund Policies & Liability Waiver
- Tools list TBD
This class has a minimum of 3 students to run and an 8 student cap.
- $425 per person, via Zoom, in your own studio space